Saturday 3 February 2018

AN ACT OF MURDER

I have committed an act of murder.

My Super-Ego had become
overbearing
and abusive
so I killed him.
I had to.

It was an act of self-defence
but
it was murder.

I killed him with a
rubber
jeweller's hammer

It took a long time.
A very long time.

At one point during the murder,
we both got bored.

But after hours
of steady
rhythmic
blows

he finally gave in

his final death rattle
clamouring
from the shale of his throat,
a cloud of
volcanic ash

Slick and
covered in viscera,
the makeshift placenta
of my rebirth,
I manage a smile.

I am free.

My Super-Ego is dead.
I buried him behind the shed
where I keep 'Intro to Calculus'
and inappropriate schoolyard touches

It's just me and the Id now.

For someone afraid of heights
and prone to motion sickness,
life as a rollercoaster has been
an adjustment.

I am delirious with joy
and vertigo,
waving a victory flag
and an airsick bag.

I'm sure that I speak for us both,
me and the Id,
when I say it's as good
as he said
it would be.

As we brace ourselves for the next descent,
the spiral and the corkscrew,
he grips my right hand
tightly with his left.

In his other hand
he holds
a sticky
rubber
jeweller's hammer.

And he smiles.



No comments:

Post a Comment