Saturday 3 February 2018

UNDESERVING OF MERCY

My peripheral vision is swarming
with obscene gestures
cast,
like spells,
by cyclopean witches

Half-blind hags
with no depth perception
thrust their fingers into the air
with the conviction
of the persecuted,
the drowned
and the burned

the coven closes in,
encircling me
like wild turkeys
performing funeral rites
for a dead
street cat

I pray for mercy
I don't quite deserve,
I’d accept even transformation

I'll live as a frog,
I welcome the trials and tribulations
of a pollywog

anything
but the fate
to which these women are destined

chained
to the blackened pine,
the smell of their own flesh cooking

The only devil
they consorted with,
the one in the hearts of the fathers and brothers
who will light the match,
watch the show,

then
content with a job well done
retreat to their empty homes
settle into their straw beds

immune to the dreams
that guilt can bring

each with a plucked eye
under his pillow



No comments:

Post a Comment