Saturday 3 February 2018

I FELL ASLEEP ON A SAPLING

I fell asleep on a sapling
and awoke
much later
to find that it had grown right through me

To pull myself free would open me up,
pouring torrents of life onto the forest floor

To cut the sapling out of the ground
would be to sever something alive inside of me
to feel it die
and wither
inside of me

So I remain where I am,
craning my neck and twisting my head
to gaze upwards as the sapling
becomes a mighty tree

At first my friends
bring me tuna salad sandwiches to survive
but I soon learn to take nourishment
from the roots,
pulling up nutrients
from the rich soil
into my body

I swap out blood for chlorophyll
and a basement dweller's pale complexion
for a soft healthy green.

I glow.

Upon reaching the doorstep of heaven,
the tree looks down,
suddenly aware of itself,
horrified to discover it has a living human growing through it

and casually brushes it away

Cast off by the tree
splayed open
for all of the forest to see
my life begins to ebb away,
all colours draining
save for the red hot shame

but nothing is wasted in the forest

Before too long,
my open cavity becomes host
to thriving cities

My insides are once again teeming with life
a torrent of infrastructure
and insect bureaucracy

My temporal body soon to be replaced
by networks of honeycomb
paper nests and royal jelly
killing fields of spiderweb

yet always at the centre,
an ever-beating heart
blanketed with moss



No comments:

Post a Comment